Recent highlights of Dean’s practice include representing:
- a third-party receivable company in the healthcare industry, in its multi-million dollar unit sale to an affiliate of Mednax, Inc. (NYSE: MD). We advised the client from the term sheet stage, counseling the client on deal structure and working with tax counsel to maximize the return for the sellers. We helped negotiate and memorialize a securities purchase agreement that included complex and heavily-negotiated indemnity provisions.
- a provider of data analytics, integration solutions and professional services for state and district-level education systems, in its multi-million
dollar share sale to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (NYSE: HMH). We coordinated complex share ownership and tax issues as well as international IP issues.
- a consulting company in the private-public financing space, in its multi-million dollar sale to Ernst & Young U.S., LLP. We served as lead counsel to the seller.
- as lead counsel for this leading online curriculum sharing and teacher professional development company in multiple rounds of note and equity fundraising, as well as non-dilutive financings with major institutions such as the Gates Foundation.
- in its spin-out from Harvard University, including formation and equity financings. Dean was instrumental in both negotiating and memorializing the license agreement with Harvard and financing documents with strategic investors.
- an industry leading mobile learning/sales training platform through convertible note financings, seed financings and three rounds of multi-million dollar institutional financings.
- MassVentures, the investment arm of The Commonwealth of Massachusetts, in its investment in Content Raven, a secure content sharing platform.
Dean joined Feinberg Hanson in 2005. Previously, Dean was co-founder of Smith + Pasalis LLP, where he provided general business and intellectual property counseling for creative companies and individuals. He also previously served as an attorney at Ulmer & Berne, LLP, a full-service law firm in Cleveland, Ohio.